As Delhi succumbs to hazardous smog, the city once again is the talk-of-the-town as being the most polluted city in the world due to its rampant rise in air pollution. While most of us are battling a war to keep ourselves fit and healthy, we tend to forget one of our most vital body parts – our eyes. The increasing level of pollutants as an effect of the smog, can cause various eye conditions like eye irritation, conjunctivitis and severe allergies. Redness, itching, burning sensation and unclear vision are some of the common symptoms which we have to struggle with. But fret not, as we bring to you some simple and easy eye-care tips, which one can follow at home or during work and make sure one has healthy and sparkling eyes.
- Wash your eyes with cold water, when you are back from outdoors
- Wear large size sunglasses when outdoors, for better protection from pollution
- Use wrap-around eye-wear while outdoors
- If you don’t have power, you could use wrap-around zero powered eyewear for protection from smog
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, if tiny pollutants enter
- Place cucumbers/cold compression on your eyes and rest, to help reduce inflammation
- Use lubricating eye drops recommended by specialists as a daily eye-care regime
- Most important of all, eat a healthy diet including lots of carrots, green leafy vegetables, almonds, walnuts, papaya, berries, fish etc. which are extremely good for the eyes
Lastly, for our overall well-being, optimal vision care, and as precautionary measures to be taken in smoggy weather, it would be ideal to avoid exposure to pollution. Areas which are heavily industrialized should be avoided. One can choose to close the windows of their car during peak traffic hour commute to prevent further damage. In case of prolonged eye infections/allergies, visit a specialist and undergo eye check-up.
Titan Eyeplus has 29 world class optical stores in Delhi NCR which offers free ‘20 step zero error eye test’ by Optometrists who are trained and certified by Sankara Nethralaya. Let’s work together to free the city from the menace of pollution and un-cloud our vision from the darkness of the descending smog.
By Sujay Suresh Dangi, Chief Optometrist & Head Technical Services, Titan Eyewear Division